BTI Research published their annual benchmark survey of law firm marketing activities last month. You'll have to buy the survey to get all of the details, but here are some trends illustrated by the data:
- The AmLaw Second Hundred (firms 101 to 200) is catching up with the AmLaw 100 in marketing spending per attorney.
- Dollars dedicated to salaries climbed 22% on a per FTE basis at the largest law firms.
- Marketing spending per attorney increased by 20%
- Marketing staffs are expanding significantly (30%). Growth primarily in business development and client service areas.
- CMO tenure declined to an average of 3.6 years. CMOs are increasingly lured away by more lucrative offers at other firms.
- While firm leaders say they are open to hiring CMOs with experience outside of the legal world, 61% of top marketers are hired from other law firms.
- Client Surveys and Client Teams are top priorities for law firm marketers in 2008. Both practices are now mainstream - with the vast majority of firms engaging in them.