One of my clients is looking to hire an experienced business development manager. It's a great firm with strong clients. Here's the Job Description and contact info:
Business Development Manager, IP Practice
Workman Nydegger, PC
Status: Full Time, Exempt
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Reports to: Managing Shareholder and Business Development Committee
Workman Nydegger, PC is a leading intellectual property law firm that serves global and national companies in technology, life sciences, pharmaceutical, telecommunications and energy fields. We are seeking a Business Development Manager (BDM) who will assist in the development of, and lead the marketing and business development initiatives of the firm and support individual efforts.
The BDM will work closely with the Business Development Committee, the firm’s attorneys and staff to define and implement the firm’s marketing and business development plan. The BDM is the sole business development/marketing professional in the firm, and will coordinate efforts with other staff, attorneys, external consultants and resources. This is a new position in the firm.
At the firm level, the BDM will work with firm leadership to define and execute a comprehensive long-range and near-term business development plan. The BDM will also be responsible for development and implementation of a marketing plan, (possibly in cooperation with outside public relations specialists) to further the firm's business development objectives. The BDM will work with firm management to develop and implement means for periodic assessment of the effectiveness of the plan and propose those actions necessary to implement improvements.
At the individual attorney level, the BDM will assist attorneys in the development and execution of their individual business development plans, and will help to ensure that those plans are consistent with the firm's goals and objectives. The BDM will provide counsel on such matters as strategy, identification and development of opportunities, client relationship building and maintenance, and marketing and sales techniques, while taking a firm-wide view towards inclusive participation across the firm to maximize client relationship and growth opportunities.
Specifically, the BDM duties include:
- Developing and executing, in coordination with firm management, the firm-wide marketing and business development plan.
- Assisting individual attorneys with preparation and implementation of effective business development plans.
- Providing leadership for firm media relations activities, including directing the preparation of newsworthy information; writing, editing and distributing press releases; building relationships with legal and business reporters and editors with local and industry media; promoting attorneys for awards, rankings and recognition.
- Directing the development and production of information, materials and tools for marketing and business development purposes, including the CRM system, web site, proposals, seminars, client advisories and marketing materials. Writing and editing marketing documents, including marketing materials, proposals, external communications and web content.
- Gathering and maintaining current information on clients, prospects, competitors, market opportunities and service strategies; assisting with the firm’s client service efforts, including the support of client satisfaction visits/surveys.
- Facilitating the involvement of firm attorneys in community, professional, industry and other organizations that will enhance the visibility of those attorneys and the firm; representing the firm directly in community and professional industry organizations.
- Providing strategic and consultative guidance and support to the attorneys, teams and groups on specific marketing and business development opportunities.
- Planning and managing events, including internal seminars, webinars and external sponsorships.
- Managing the web content and online marketing tools, including blogs and social media.
- Tracking prospects and opportunities; attending monthly attorney business development meetings.
- Enthusiastic self-starter and team player with
five to eight years experience as a marketing professional in a law firm
(preferred) or other professional service firm.
- Bachelor’s degree, at a minimum, in business, marketing, journalism, or related area. JD or MBA a plus.
- Understanding of the legal environment and the
practice of law, while not absolutely
required, is a strong plus.
- A track record of proven success developing new business, creating and executing programs to develop and retain clients and intelligent marketing strategies is expected.
- Strong-writing skills, as demonstrated by acceptable writing samples, including external communications, proposals or custom marketing materials.
- Strong project management skills. Manage multiple projects simultaneously and have a focus on execution. Delegate to administration staff and coordinate with attorneys effectively.
- Impeccable oral and written communication skills and the ability to prepare and make oral presentations are essential to this position
- Judgment, professionalism, maturity and flexibility to navigate complex structure of a law firm.
- Initiative to bring ideas and processes to the
firm to increase marketing and business development effectiveness.
- Substantive experience in applying technology to marketing and internal information sharing (e.g., Web sites, intranets, and client relationship management databases).
Compensation: Commensurate with experience. Outstanding benefits package offered.
To apply: Please submit a resume, references and writing samples to Shauna Huston at email@example.com